Sunday, April 19, 2015

Saying "No"

Are you a "Yes" person? Do you easily feel pressure? Have you ever done anything for someone just because you want to think of you as a nice person and not because you wanted it to?

I am a  "yes" person and I suffer from it. I say yes to things that are not my priority and then I don't have time and energy to do what is really important to me. Lately I have started changing this situation to "Think before you talk". When they ask me a question "Do you want to be my made of honor?" I pause for a second to think "mmm I think this not a good idea for me right now, I am sorry". An then, I feel relieved that I managed to say "no" in a polite way.

Sometimes I am trying to avoid saying yes and I end up being really rude. "Do you want to come with us tonight?" , "No, no, no impossible, I wouldn' t waste my time with you". Very rude! And then I feel bad again for saying no. So next time I say yes of course.

The reason why the yes people say yes is because they don't know how to say "no". There is always a way to say no, without hurting people so much and without giving so much explanation for your  decision.

Another way of looking at it is saying yes whatever you want to do, but you cannot do tthis because of other obligationss. For example, I have arranged to work tonight and some friends call me up to go our. I know you want to go, but is it the right time to say "Yes"? Think about how many times we say "yes" to our needs, for example, bying a dress or shoes, when this is really not what we should do?. You know if it was the right "yes" to say, because you feel quilty afterwards. Our emotions at the time of the dilemma are swollen towards saying "yes" because we really like those shoes. Our mind also finds excuses to support our emotions. And we buy the shoes, but later we don't have money to go to the supermarket. And there starts quilt... and now you know it was the wrong "yes" to say...

No comments:

Post a Comment